Thursday, June 20, 2013

Day 2


The next morning, which was 2 hours from going to sleep, I had no idea what day and time it was at this point. My body just was sore and tired and hated me. I grabbed a coffee from the Cinnabun at the airport (yes the Filipino food would wait, I’ll be there a month for gosh sakes), and the flight was only a short 45 minutes and flew over a spectacular view of the Mayon volcano. We traveled another hour and twenty from the airport in a Jeepney to Buena Vista where we would be staying. Jeepney’s are old WWII jeep like vehicles that were painted and are now used to transport large groups of people. You can ride on the roof of them too so clearly this is thrilling to me. The road to the dorm was absolutely breathtaking. Small huts lined the beautiful green path. The sky is bluer, the trees are greener and the bodies of water are turquoise. The poverty that we saw just riding to the clinic was incredible and yet they waved and yelled to us as we went by with such joy and excitement for our arrival. The Filipino people I think are what make this trip so incredible. They have so little and yet the smiles painted across their face and the laughter you hear echoing across their homes make them seem like the happiest people alive. They appreciate other people and accept them for who they are. They go out of their way for other’s and cherish their families. I saw more joy and appreciation in these people who had nothing then from those who have everything in America. It made me appreciate everything I have, the opportunities that are given to me that these people will never get and with that the things that I can do to make an impact in this world.

The clinic upon arrival was new and beautiful. The dorms were situated on a beautiful bay overlooking the Bulusan volcano.  The grounds are surrounded by beautiful palm trees and inhabited by Filipino’s, some of which are family members of the Schuster’s. We are staying in standard dorm rooms. I claimed a top bunk, staying in a room with the 3 other girls and Jennifer. Brigitte is coming from FIU in another 12 days or so and will be joining us. Soon after our arrival we were presented with the most delicious Filipino feast. We live in the most amazing place with the most generous and caring people. We have breakfast, lunch and dinner prepared for us, only from the freshest fishes, fruits and meats, we have our laundry done when we put it out and I couldn’t be more appreciative of the experience. Now back to the fruits. I don’t think I will ever be able to eat a mango, banana or pineapple in the US with as much joy as I get from them here. They are unbelievable. The taste is just incomparable to anything I have ever had. I know I could go on all day about the food, so instead I’ll let the pictures speak for themselves.

We were all pretty exhausted upon arrival, and it was only 11am Filipino time, but we wanted to push ourselves to stay up at least until after dinner and sunset so we wouldn’t be too jetlagged. We met Jessica, Dr. Schuster’s other daughter and her 2 new puppies Luna and Cali. You can only imagine the squeals of excitement all the girls, including myself had to know we have puppies with us for the trip. Apparently you can buy puppies in the city, and people will come up and ask if you would like to buy one, for the price of $100 US dollars. I may come back with a puppy, just throwing that out there now. The day was spent exploring the grounds, seeing the brand new clinic that was just built, and recuperating from the time change. We went into Sorsogon City for a little bit to check email, and do some light shopping. The people stare at us doe-eyed because we stick out for being so different looking. They shout to us yelling “YO JOE!” HELLO JOE!” in reference to he American GI Joe. I’m not going to lie and say that I didn’t love that. Dinner again was amazing, and shortly after we found ourselves in bed, and out like lights. It was only 7pm. 
















   

1 comment:

  1. Love the pics (but please don't come with a puppy!)

    ReplyDelete