Thursday, June 20, 2013

Day 3


Today was the first full day in the Philippines. We wouldn’t be starting up the clinic until after the arrival of Dr. Schuster and the other medical students, and of course after getting everything set up and organized. We brought about a dozen large bags of medical supplies that needed to be sorted through and that was going to take quite a valiant effort by our group. In the morning we had our first breakfast, which again was just out of this world. I mean, imagine bacon cooked in 3 different ways. Yes, that is what we were served. And I still have coffee to drink here so that horrible addiction of mine would be able to continue throughout my time here. Afterwards we decided to go on a hike outside of our grounds to explore the area. We went about 5 miles in total, and let me tell you it was a trek! The whole hike was incredibly hilly, which isn’t bad except the heat and humidity takes your breath away and makes any sort of exercise, even walking that much harder. We were troopers and made it to a beautiful cold springs, where many of the Filipino people were bathing or washing their clothes. Once our luggage arrives, and I get my bathing suit I’ll make the excursion more interactive. As we passed by many of the small Filipino huts you could hear American music blasting from inside their house. I think hearing the Harlem Shake and Teach me how to Dougie screaming from two of the houses filled with elderly Filipino’s was the most surprising. If only my parents could understand how cool this music is. The Filipino’s clearly appreciate it. Catholicism is the main religion of the country. There are a plethora of churches in the area, and religious symbolism dawned from almost every home. We continued on walking to the top of a large hill where a school sat upon and was greeted by the hellos and smiles of the children. It was a beautiful hike, just in our surrounding area. Probably one of the most beautiful places in the world. I can only wait to see more of this incredible country as we further explore it during our time here. Again the pictures in this case speak more then what I can put into words.

When we got back, I had the pleasure of watching Jomar, one of the Filipino’s that stays with us, and protects us like a bodyguard everywhere we go, climb up a 70+ft palm tree to collect us all some coconuts. And he sang when he was at the top hacking them all down. Everything in my life just became meaningless, and I realized how worthless I am of a person sometimes. Haha ok that is dramatic, but seriously, these people carry giant water jugs for miles from the cold springs, and work out in the oppressive heat and humidity all day to support their families.  Between the fantastic meals we get that are cooked to perfection and the effort that is put into all the things they do for us, I again cannot express how appreciative I am, and how much I look up to them as people.

Dr. Schuster and the other 4 medical students from Tulane arrived just as Jomar was coming down with the coconuts. The coconut water was amazing. Nothing that comes from Whole Foods will ever compare, and the meat from the coconut was outstanding. I feel like 90% of this blog is about food...hopefully that will change when the clinic opens. I got some of our group members to join in on my Insanity craze right now. So after everyone arrived, Sean, Dan, Daniella and I started up doing Pure Cardio from my Insanity workout plan. I’m pretty sure I may kill them. Doing insanity is one thing. Doing it in the extreme heat and humidity takes it to a whole new level. Take that Shaun T! I’ll show YOU how to Dig Deeper! The entire time through the workout we attracted a crowd of Filipino’s that found us fascinating and hilarious to watch. They looked on at us like we were out of our freaking minds. They looked on in shear curiosity as to why on earth we are running, and jumping and putting yourself though all of this for fun?! They walk to get from point A to point B and to do work and provide for their families. They run because they are escaping a threat or dangerous situation. They climb and do strengthening exercises to build homes, work for their living and provide food for their family and here we are doing it all for fun. Silly American’s. Yet with all the eating I am doing I need Shaun T to keep kicking my butt, because lets face it, I’m not the one climbing the pineapple trees. As a bonus, I was initially worried about the cold bucket showers that we use for bathing, but in this heat they are actually quite enjoyable; as long as you don’t get the water in your mouth. We use bottled water for everything: drinking, brushing our teeth, etc. No one wants Traveler’s diarrhea. But if it happens we have plenty of Cipro and Loperamide to keep that in check. That night we all hung out before dinner drinking their fine beer Red Horse and enjoying getting to know one another. The group I am with is just incredible, and so much fun. I couldn’t have asked for anyone better.  We all passed out fast once again after dinner, around 8:30pm, which was quite an accomplishment from the previous night of 7pm. Yet we all get up really early, around 6am, sometimes earlier. Around here, as long as the sun is up, so are we.











1 comment:

  1. Scenes are breathtaking . the sign says "thank you". (Woman in my office is from there.)
    Be safe

    ReplyDelete