Sunday, January 19, 2020

Day 1: January 18-19, 2020




So here we go again, and I cannot tell you how excited I am. My second trip to Ethiopia with Healing the Children Northeast. They are one incredible group of people and I am so fortunate to get to go on this medical mission with them again. It was a little hairy the last few weeks, and we almost had moments where we thought we would have to call it off or postpone. With all the conflict in Iran that infiltrated over to Kenya, it wasn’t completely clear whether this would be safe for us. But we stayed diligent and like the good doctors we are did our homework, and the State Department noted the safety to be at about the same level it was last year. I always tell people, the things you worry yourself sick about are never the things that actually happen in the end, it is the unexpected. And let me tell you we hit a few speed bumps before we arrived in Mekelle. None of which were what we planned for. 

I got up bright and early, had my Uber driver stop by Dunkin Donuts for that one last moment I could have savoring my favorite coffee and reminisced about my hot shower. Because most likely that would likely be the last one for the next week. I definitely take that for granted. The airport was easy to get through and they let me keep my carry on with me this time, which was nice. I lied when I said the Dunkin Donuts coffee in the car on the way was my last, because I totally got another at the airport. The poor man who is in the aisle seat. He would likely be getting annoyed by me the entire route. The first leg is 12 hours to Dubai, then 5 hours to Addis Ethiopia and then a 4 hour layover before heading to our final destination that is 1.5 hours by plane, Mekelle. Another saving grace, or so we thought was the fact we checked our heavy OR and medical supply bags all the way to our final destination. Last year we had to pick them up in Addis, go through customs, recheck them and walk a country mile to another terminal all in the same leg. But I am 8 years younger so whatever physical challenge comes my way I should be fine right? It is in fact May 9, 2012 today according to the Julian calendar they follow here. 

There were a few snow storms along the way where it was questionable if one of our group leaders coming from Toronto would make it. He is an integral part of the trip as he lived in Ethiopia for a year training the residents and knows this place better than anyone. But nevertheless, the weather did not deter our group and we all made it safely. I couldn’t sleep a wink on the 12-hour Dubai flight and divided my time up between residency work, one Movie “Once Upon a Time in Hollywood” which was pretty good and doing a quick leg workout in the back of the plane. I was the crazy girl doing squats and lunges yes, but does my back hurt as much as everyone else’s? No.  Will I get a DVT? Not today! I did get tired on the other flights, but I swear Emirates is very concerned about me eating because every time I try to go to sleep, they wake me up from my slumber to try and give me more food. The do not disturb sticker does not work, they will wake you up. 

 I can say that I was exhausted by the time we got to Mekelle, and there we encountered yet another surprise. Our checked bags never made it. Part of the group stayed back to wait for the next flight and some of them came but again not all. So here I am, sitting in the hotel wondering if we will have all of our bags tomorrow. Either way, we will make do and be the amazing team we area. Nothing can really stop us.  We got lucky to stay in the main part of the hotel this year, and the rooms are a little bit bigger. I am rooming with an OR nurse from California. She is Polish like myself, so we are quite a blonde dynamic duo. Most importantly this year the water in the showers.... WAS LUKEWARM! Oh my goodness what a blessing this was. I was able to actually somewhat tolerate my entire body in the shower this time, instead of carefully washing each limb from the outside of the shower like last year. I even washed my hair because I am not sure how long this will last and I don't want to get my hopes up. 

We met for a group dinner together, most too tired to even chew at this point, but it was an incredible feeling being back with the original crew and a few new additions. It feels like family, and we are one heck of a group. Tomorrow we work toward finding the rest of our bags, (5 left) and setting up shop at the hospital. It is a holiday tomorrow in Ethiopia (probably not MLK)...and when I figure out which one it is I will let you know. 

 Back in time! Welcome to 2012
 Mekelle Airport
 Airport runway where we landed
 Mekelle Airport (we spent a lot of time in airports yesterday)
 Our room
View from the hotel

No comments:

Post a Comment