Friday, January 24, 2020

Day 2: 1/20/2020







Good morning Ethiopia

So we got 9 of our bags but 5 are still missing. Sitting in customs in Addis likely because they didn’t clear security. Remember when I said it was the things you don’t expect to happen that should cause more worry. Well our faithful trip coordinator has been trying to sort it out so there is still time. 

I woke up at 3am this morning, completely wide awake and ready to go which was annoying. Heard a few hyenas which was like my lullaby back to sleep but that took a good hour. I tried to ponder my WiFi-less phone and bore myself back into a slumber but even that didn’t do the trick. Eventually when I did I felt like I was waking right back up to the sound of an alarm

We gathered for breakfast in the common main lobby area. The Ethiopians love their carbs and I tried to sneak in a bit of fruit and eggs to avoid going completely Michael Phelps with all my meals. The first plan of the day was to go over to the hospital with all the supplies we did have and start getting set up and screening patients. It is a holiday, the Epiphany to be exact so a lot of things are closed. As we drive to the hospital you could see a sea of white linen dresses and suits which was pretty beautiful. Everyone looked so nice going to the churches. Ethiopia where we are is primarily an orthodox Christian society that takes their holidays very seriously. At the hospital we met up with the familiar faces of the ENT residents of Mekelle who worked along side of us last year. It was so great seeing them again and just like last year they were incredibly helpful at prescreening a lot of patients.

Half of the group stayed back in the ENT clinic to help organize our supply bags. We split things up evenly in case missing bags become a problem but there are a few key surgical sets in the missing ones we do need. Myself, the other surgeons, doctors and the speech pathologists went to screen all of the patients for the OR tomorrow. We had a bunch of cleft lip and palate babies that we plan on doing the repair and having them work with speech to initiate their treatment. A lot goes into their care for many years so our goal is to teach as much as we can to create a sustainable system for them when we leave. One of the little girls that came with her sibling was such a little ham and so precocious. I loved her. And she would lean down and give me a hug and kiss on the cheek. And she was so fascinated by my hair wanting to touch it and see it sway. It’s always so incredible to see the merge of different cultures an our adoration for the things that make them unique. Their hair in Ethiopia is incredible and they style it into these beautiful crown braids that frame their faces. I wish I could do that to my hair. 

One of the most incredible cases was a 6 month old with a huge Capillary hemangioma taking up the majority of his right face. In their culture they have a lot of religious medical practices. One is taking hot coal and placing it on the lesion in an attempt to burn out the disease. This baby was lucky that they didn’t have severe bleeding from this practice as that can happen with Capillary hemangioma even in a careful surgical removal. He did have a central ulceration over the mass that likely   Was from their home medical remedy, but it also blunted the biopsy report that was done.  He is on a medication currently in an attempt to shrink the tumor, and has no deficits from speech and swallowing which is good for his growth and treatment process. We have a few nasal deformities on our list as well which will be great cases and of course the group tradition, a hyena bite injury to the ear.

After the screening and set up we took a look where we would be holding our lectures and courses. I am teaching the residents tomorrow on a topic you’ll have to wait and hear about yourself, and I set up for them a small simulation center. If you know what I like to do, you’ll guess what it is easily. Their lecture area and medical school are very simple with just small rooms and chairs. And they are so motivated which makes it so exciting. 

After we unpacked and somewhat situated and scheduled planned out we went back to the hotel, had lunch and decided to go on a hike up this small mountain in Mekelle that has a large cross. It’s 52 meters tall and 5 wide and let me tell you it was quite a little hike. I for one would say I’m pretty fit, and I am not sure if it’s the altitude, jet lag or both but I FEEL it. Walking up stairs and I’m winded so you can imagine I was exhausted doing this hike. It was very hot too for my pants, but the view from the top was incredible and very worth it. Who know Mekelle was so large! All the small children on our way chased after to say hello, shake our hand and take pictures which was adorable. Everyone has been so friendly and beautifully dressed for their holiday today. Along the rode and hike though we encountered lots of large bones and a few goat heads. It is a delicacy they have and savor just for their holidays. But the animal lover in me can’t help but be a little sad.  


I am for one exhausted. We ate at one of the traditional Ethiopian restaurants and even after being here prior I cannot say I love the food. I may have cheated and eaten their chickpea spread with regular French bread instead of the injera. We did order a turbo for the table (the classic Ethiopian beverage of beer, wine and sprite mixed together) and that didn’t get more appealing either. I stick with the beer I think. We always have a great time out together and were a few drinks away from dancing away. But tomorrow we have a full day or lectures and operating so getting back on the right body clock with be imperative. I am not sure what year I am in let alone hour or day. Excited for tomorrow!


Traditional Ethiopian meal

 Hospital Emergency Room
 Holiday Best dressed
Outside an Ethiopian bodega


Examination of a 5 month old with Cleft Lip 

Bilateral Cleft Lip patient

Capillary Hemangioma Patient
My face after my surprise hug and kiss from this sweet girl

Small children playing and waving to us

View from the top of our hike

Proof I made it to the top


The Cross
https://drive.google.com/uc?export=view&id=1IbFkiNnPYG8HUACkvMLq99e-gC3UJfrM
Gangs all here!
https://drive.google.com/uc?export=view&id=1YGZduEg_f49rwbMnSmJuE9cT1PMJPOmL
The gang in our new chef hats.....I mean OR hats

No comments:

Post a Comment