Wednesday, July 3, 2013

Day 22

So last night we actually ended up going to a Filipino carnival and it was like the movie zombieland. It was quite run down and if you think I trust carnival rides in America you can believe my faith in these was not that appreciable. Nevertheless I still went on one. Haha. It was thrilling. The boys played a few games that were surprisingly easier to win from then what I'm used to. Celine won a cup and Dan got a mug. Winners! We made our way to an Internet cafe after so I was able to check my email, pay bills and take care of some things back home that I've neglected since being disconnected. I wish I could stay disconnected when I get home sometimes. No emails to worry about, or texting to get caught up with. Just kicking back and enjoying life. Dan apparently ate a fertilized duck egg last night sold by some food vendor in a dark playground they went to while a few of us were at the diner. He's still alive and well, so that's always a good thing. Dan is the Anthony Bourdain of our trip I've decided.


Well we got home pretty late for Filipino standards (around midnight) and got to bed soon after. Waking up was again rough as we girls pushed our limits and got up and ready at 7:40. Today I was working a student room with Daniella. Represent FAU! I took the first patient of the day who came in complaining of high blood sugar with diabetic pathologies present. He is on insulin and was hospitalized a few months back for extremely high symptomatic blood sugar from uncontrolled diabetes. He had blood work and an Ecco done and was out on a variety of medications for diabetes, hypertension, high cholesterol and coronary artery disease. Plus he had every risk factor for having a myocardial infarction. Overweight, family history of heart attack (mom passed away young), poor diet, and excessive alcohol use. His wife claims hat he drinks 1-2 cases of beer a night and he didn't deny. On top of that he has been noncompliant with all his medications, only using the insulin injections when he feels like it. It was a fun case. I don't know why but I love giving the "you need to change your diet and lifestyle" lecture of people. His wife clearly appreciated it and he seemed in the end more optimistic to at least give it a try. I really hope he does. He's a young guy with a family and I'd like to see him get healthy for both his family nd himself.


Daniella took on the next patient with the H&P; an older woman with a lot of complaints that led for a complicated workup.She was one of those patients that as Sean said to us, we could learn a lot from. They're almost frustrating as they can't give clear histories and things don't seem match up, on top of complaining about everything hurting and being wrong. But as a physician you have to take everything that a patient says seriously. And she was a sweet older woman clearly in some distress, even if she couldn't put it into words. Our translator, Joyce was having a hard time understanding her so our physical exam was what would really have to be meticulous to elicit the root of the problem. It ended up being a very fun case. 


We finished up with two more children before lunch, both brother and sister with similar complaints of abdominal pain and cough/cold symptoms. It took some time so by the time we got down for lunch most of it was gone....but it's ok I took like 4 mango slices and that was enough to satisfy me. My allergies were crazy today! I think it's from this cat that walks around and laid on our clean laundry last night getting her fur all over the scrubs I wear. I tried my best to get it off but it wasn't enough to spare my eyes from their state of unbearable itchiness and my constant sneezing. Cats are cute and all...from a very far distance. 


After lunch when we head back to clinic, one of the nurse's, Princess pulled me aside and gave me a bracelet she made that was hot pink with the name "Barbie" on on side for me and "Princess" on the other side so "I wouldn't forget her" she said. How could I ever forget such a sweet person! She made little bracelets for everyone. I absolutely loved it. I can't say enough how incredible this trip has been and I'm for sure going to miss all of the wonderful people I met and befriended dearly.


We had another complicated patient case with multiple complaints. She complained of blurry vision, headaches, angina like chest pain with shortness of breath, palpitations and dyspnea on exertion, paresthesias in her lower legs/feet and a numbness down her right arm. On top of that she had dysuria, back pain/suprapubic abdominal pain with urination, and white vaginal discharge with swelling. Her urine test showed possible UTI and the other symptoms suggested a yeast infection. Yeast grows best in a sugary environment, which our diabetic patient was a prime environment for. Anyway to spare the details, it was interesting to see a complex diabetes patient with so many presenting symptoms from the progression of the disease. She was compliant with her medications also which means she needs a further workup to determine whether insulin therapy is the next best step to go. 


Sean was an awesome mentor throughout the day, giving some of the best insight and pointers to get us to think outside of the box. He's a fantastic teacher, as intimidating as he may be sometimes. I know I'll make sure to always hold my pick up's right when I'm in surgery that's for sure. It's great preparation for clinical years and residency where we'll be constantly pimped and made to feel stupid. He's harsh and very blunt which makes you want to do things right the first time or at least think through your question before you ask because he will make you feel dumb...in a good way though because you better believe it I remember the mistakes I make and make sure not to do them again. But as he said "ask a question and you're dumb for a minute, don't ask a question and you're dumb for a lifetime." He's a brilliant kid and a great mentor. I can write all this now because I know he won't read it until he's back to New Orleans so he can't give me crap for this. Mwahaha.


After clinic things were relaxed. We all did our respected workouts, and there were fried bananas at dinner. Dave gave a great talk on childhood illnesses and Dan gave a great talk on strokes.  The fried bananas I may say however made for a perfect ending to a successful day. 


Not many pictures were taken today from clinic since it was so busy, but here are a few from the carnival and some random fun ones from the past week


The carnival

Child we're sponsoring with Hirshprung's
The Bracelet that Princess gave me
Infamous Jeepney rides
Rainbow over the volcano


2 comments:

  1. cool experiences. What's an H&P ? NIce Bracelet but better loose the nickname back home. Patients might get nervous being told Dr. Barbie will be cutting them open and figuring things out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. History and physical. People in medicine tend to like to shorten or abbreviate words to save time for more activities....like saving lives. Ain't nobody got time for long fancy words :)

      Delete