Thursday, July 11, 2013

Day 30

Well alas here it is. My last day in the Philippines. As a great singer once sung "nobody told me there would be days like these!" No, not John Lennon, I mean Dave of course. I don't even know the original version of that song, I only know Dave's videoke version and a lot of us often times find ourselves just belting out those lyrics. Today was one of those days. 


Celine was up first packing and getting ready to head to the airport at 9am. We were all still cuddled up in our king down comforter bed, as she made her way collecting her things. It was a sad goodbye again, filled with long hugs and well wishes. At this point we were all awake, and eventually Sean came over to say good morning and start deciding our morning plans. We had 2 free breakfast buffets for our room, and 7 people to feed. The front desk said we could apply its worth to individual a la carte meals, but apparently the conversation got lost in translation and misinterpreted. Two of us could do the buffet while the rest would pay for a la carte. It was no big deal in the end. We gave Sean and Ashik the buffet breakfast, while we all ordered something small off the menu and they just brought back everything in sight for the table anyway. The pile of mangos weren't suspicious at all. So worth it. I got a bowl of oatmeal. I have been craving oatmeal for so long, and it was perfect. Along with French pressed coffee and cream. Delightful. We were all quite satisfied in the end. 


After breakfast we decided to spend the morning at the pool until we had to check out of our rooms at one. All of us had late flights and the hotel said they would store our bags for us until we left for the airport. The pool at the hotel is incredible! Complete with 2 deceivingly fast water slides, a waterfall, bridges to swim under and a lounging area in the middle where the pool wrapped around. The pillows and teacup like baskets that you could lay on couldn't have been anymore comfortable. The entire veranda overlooked Manila Bay, with hammocks that lined the water. It was a perfect way to spend our last morning. Sean and I particularly enjoyed the water slides. I took full advantage of that activity. 


Around 12:15 I went back up to the room with Brigitte and we were he first two to take shifts and shower one last time before departure. I made sure to make that last as well. Packing wasn't too terrible and all 4 girls managed to be completely out of the room by 1:05ish. Hey, we're girls, so this was an accomplishment. Ashik and Puspa were definitely antsy waiting in the lobby for us. We told them we'd be down by 1, and we got a phone call to our room exactly at 1 when we weren't downstairs. Haha, men. They will never understand "girl time." 


We decided to head over to the Mall of Asia for the afternoon, to walk around, see what it was all about and shop a little for Filipino handicrafts. I found 2 beautiful oil and canvas paintings of the Philippines that I purchased for my apartment, and a nice Philippines jogging jacket that could almost fool someone for mistaking me as an Olympic athlete for their country...minus the hair I suppose. The mall sat on another part of the bay, with carnival rides that lined the water. Inside they had more stores and restaurants that I have ever seem in my life, complete with a Dunkin Donuts. I felt at home when I saw that, but what really caught my eye was the ice rink they had smack dab in the middle of the mall. It made me want to put on a pair of skates and go out there right then. 


We walked around the mall and the area for quite sometime, occasionally going into stores that caught our eye. In the end, a mall is a mall no matter how big and fancy anywhere in the world. We sat outside by the bay for a bit and reflected on our trip. Discussing what we took away from it and how we have changed. I think we're all still absorbing all that we did and saw in the last month. My perspective has changed since going in the trip, and it really inspired me. I have an incredible appreciation and interest in global health, that I strive to continue to do and incorporate into my medical career. We talked about how different it will be going home and now seeing through different eyes the negativity and greed that surround the American culture. Especially after seeing those that have every reason and more to be negative turning out to be the most positive and happiest of people. Not to mention the most beautiful. It's not about what you have or don't have, it's not about where you live and who you know. Those that look for happiness in those things will never find it. What was reaffirmed for me is my absolute love and passion for medicine and for people. Knowing that I am going to get to wake up each and everyday doing what I love, is happiness. 


After we took the time to enjoy reflecting on our trip, we made our way back into the mall to grab something small to eat so we wouldn't have to grab dinner before our flights. We stopped at a Mediterranean restaurant and got grilled chicken gyros. At this point we were all desiring something that wasn't Asian style cuisine, and it was perfect. Heather who got Starbucks earlier in the day, wasn't feeling well and brought her order back with us when we left. We managed to get back to the hotel around 5:30, with an hour to spare before Heather, Sean and Brigitte had to go to the airport. They are going to Thailand together, which will be without a doubt amazing. 


On another side note lets discuss the driving while in Manila. We are all quite lucky to be alive. Traffic lanes are outline but don't really exist, people just drive almost in to one another until one car gives in. It's like a constant game of chicken. Traffic lights are also optional. Our cab driver decided red meant go for him today, so they seem optional as well. Yesterday while driving through Manila, we went the wrong way down one way streets into oncoming traffic, and today apparently if your exit on a roundabout going counter clockwise is to the left of you, don't bother going all the way around. Just go into the oncoming traffic and take that left exit. I want to say we are lucky to be alive but I think they do know what they are doing despite my lack of faith in their driving abilities. 


Once back at the hotel we sat out on the lounge chairs by the bay and watched the sunset until we bid our goodbyes to the three of them. Daniella and I were now the last left. Representing FAU all the way. Sean gave me his mango as a parting gift which was much appreciated. Daniella and I hung out and walked around the hotel a bit before sitting in the sports bar, getting a mocha and a pot of tea and charging on electronics and talking before we had to leave ourselves. The can ride was again another eventful one. Children came up and pressed their faces on our cab windows begging for money (Daniella gave them some cereal bars she had), and our cab driver almost ran into a railing. Nevertheless we made it to the airport in one piece on time. 


Security was at the door and as soon as my luggage went through the scanner they stopped me, looked at me with suspicion and asked if I had large knives in my bags. Well yes, of course I did. They were my hand carved Filipino machetes. The security man tool me and brought me to another line, told me to wait there and went over to another man where he whispered amongst themselves. He came back and just told me to wait in the line to check my bag and have to safe trip. I'm glad he didn't find me to threatening. My bag was under 50lbs which was a miracle in itself and my mango wasn't taken away by the mango sniffing beagles. It was a success thus far. Well until we got to immigration and they noticed that we had overstayed our welcome and didn't have visas. They lady was just a complete moron, even after I explained how her office had told us when we came and requested visas to get them when we leave and not on arrival. She just kept repeating to me how many days I overstayed. Yeah I got it lady, and now you're charging us $30 more. It wasn't worth arguing, I didn't feel like being denied leaving the country so Daniella and I just paid the extra fee and got through to our terminal. We changed into more comfortable clothing and shopped around before heading to the gate. 


There was more security at our gate which as unexpectedly. They went through every carry on bag and opened and took everything out. I still got to keep my mango, and this was just the best thing ever. Then they sent me over to a man that had me sit down and asked me to take off my shoes. I thought we wanted my foot, so I put them up on the stand for him and Daniella burst out laughing and so did the security man. He wanted me shoes. Haha, well I could have used a foot massage. The first flight was 4 hours to Guam, and I was packed in a middle seat. Not the most comfortable but I was too tired to notice. Twenty five hours of flying until I am back in Washington, DC and all I want to do when I get there is to for a run.  As redundant as it may seem, for I go on about this in each entry, this past month was one of the most amazing experiences of my life. Our clinic made an impact on well over 2000 patient lives in the month that we were here, and that feeling is unmatched to anything. Dr. Schuster and his family, the group of students from Tulane, FIU and FAU and all of the Filipino's that helped and were part of our little community that we created made it one amazing trip. We have all been discussing already our reunion to the Philippines in the future together, and our plans to continue supporting the Bicol clinic foundation. Until then, Ill miss the clinic and the patients, the procedures and experience.  I'll miss the 4th years and physicians I had as mentors that helped sculpt my clinical skills. I'll miss Mamma Tess's cooking, the sweetest fruits picked locally and nights filled singing along with one another to videoke. I'll miss waking up in a room with 4-5 other girls, getting my hair braided by Daniella or Heather, and the shrieks that would come from our bathroom when someone had a bug attack them. I'll miss the early runs filled with smiling faces shouting good morning to me while the kids try to run alongside. I'll miss the impeccable view of the mountains, rice fields, bays and ocean. I'll miss being greeted when I come home from clinic by a large group of children screaming "JACK-EE-LYN" that was shortly followed by being tackled with hugs. I'll miss the Jeepney rides on the roof and being followed by our filipino bodyguards everywhere we went. And with all the things I'll miss, I'll go back inspired and with a new perspective that will make me into that much better of a physician and person. So here it is, my last of entry as I sit on my second flight on the way to a stop in Hawaii, thinking about everything that I have done and where in the world my next trip will take me. Until then, Barbie is going to enjoy the next few weeks of summer (and get allergy tested) before second year anxiety kicks in. 


Salamat Po Philippines!


The pool
The water slide



Mall of Asia skating rink
Woo a DD!

Manila


My last Filipino mango

1 comment:

  1. Actually the song I thought of was "Momma said there would be days like this" by the Shirelles from Passiac, NJ, but well before your time. Hell they were before my time. Too bad you didn't get on that ice, might have cuased quite a stir.

    SO glad your back babe!

    ReplyDelete